Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nailed It!

I was really excited when Jessica of Be Happy and Buy Polish was going to do a nail art guest post for me, especially because I got to use a pun for the title. This nail look is perfect for any Halloween festivities and it seems easy enough that I could even pull it off! 



Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be guest-posting today on Begonia Sky. Kyra is amazingly talented and I'm honored to be here. 

A little about myself - I'm Jessica from Be Happy and Buy Polish. I'm a married to a rockstar husband (okay, not really) and we have two kids. I've been blogging in the nail & beauty world for a little over 6 months. 

Today I have for you a simple and classy Halloween manicure that could possibly be work appropriate. What you'll need for this is: three nail polish colors, nail art striping tape, a thin nail art brush, a q-tip or clean up brush (I use an e.l.f. concealer brush), a painters palette or wax paper, and a good base coat and top coat. I make sure that I prep everything I need before I start: striping tape is cut, tools set aside and ready, etc. 

After 1 coat of base coat, I've started off with 2 coats of OPI Man Repeller (which I featured on my blog a couple of days ago). All you really need is a good base color that is a softer shade; this way it allows the purple & orange (or whatever colors you pick) to really pop out. OPI My Vampire is Buff, OPI Don't Pretzel My Buttons, OPI Don't Burst My Bubble, or Zoya Jacqueline are all good alternatives. 




Let this dry well before applying your striping tape; I usually use a quick dry topcoat to hurry it along, like Seche Vite or G&G HK Girl topcoat. Then apply your striping tape with your fingers or tweezers, spacing them depending on how wide or skinny you'd like your stripes to be.
Dot a bit of your next color onto your painters palette or wax paper, dip your thin nail art brush into it, and carefully paint between the strips of striping tape. I've used OPI Funky Dunkey for the purple. Peel off the striping tape quickly, you don't want the polish to dry (otherwise the polish will lift up off the nail). Do this for all your nails. 


Before applying your next color, make sure you let the previous stripes dry well. Again, you could use a quick dry topcoat to hurry it along. Apply your striping tape again, following the steps above. I've used OPI Red Lights Ahead...Where? for the orangey-red color. 


Wait for everything to dry and finish off with your topcoat of choice. Lastly, use a q-tip or a clean up brush dipped in acetone to clean up around your nails & cuticles. (Since acetone is so drying, I usually apply cuticle oil after my nails have had a good amount of time to dry.) Enjoy looking at your pretty nails! 


Thanks to Kyra for letting me post on her blog today! I hope you all enjoy this manicure. You can find me at my blogon Facebook, on Twitter, and on Instagram




1 comment: