Monday, November 25, 2013

Begonia Sky Presents: A Day in the Life with K on the Bay



I think it might be a Midwesterner thing, but anytime I meet someone from the Midwest, it's like that scene from Step Brothers— "Did we just become best friends?" "Yup!" It happened with my current roommate, the girl who became my "work mom" and with anyone that came into any of the places I've worked. Maybe it's the shared accent, or finding people that don't think it's weird when I say pop instead of soda. Or maybe I just can't escape the friendly Midwestern attitude, no matter how much I'd love to be like a New Yorker. 

When I found out Kristin was a fellow Michigander, I knew I definitely had to feature her. She was already in because of her amazing blog, K on the Bay, but I mean the Michigan thing just sealed the deal. 





How did you get started with blogging? 
I began my style blog when I moved home from San Francisco in 2011 to capture photos of the Traverse City area as well as things that inspired me. Since fashion is such a big part of my life, I slowly but surely eased into shooting photos of shoes, accessories and thrifted finds. K on the Bay began focusing 100% style near the end of 2012 when I began to read other fashion blogs and was inspired by such unique women who showcased their looks on a daily basis.

What are your goals for K on the Bay for the next year or so? 
I hope to continue to collaborate with more bloggers and brands that I love! I also recently got a new camera and will soon have a new and improved website! Since I have so much content, the new site will have outfits organized by season, color and style.

What is the fashion scene like in Traverse City? 
Traverse City has so many amazing boutiques, but since it's a casual town there isn't much of a fashion scene. I recently contributed an article to Grand Traverse Woman magazine to highlight our shops to stimulate buying local and to encourage women to step out of their comfort zone. Life is too short to dress boring! No matter where I go, I always like to feel my best- for me. I would love to start a community here within style to bring stylish people together and share tips- maybe I can even inspire some to start blogs of their own.

How would you describe your style? 
Casual Chic. I have a very classic style with pops of color and fun statement pieces- I typically lean toward preppy looks and feminine basics. Grand Traverse Bay influences me to bring a nautical feel into my everyday style as well- I adore red, navy and stripes.

What are your must have products? 
Kate Spade is my favorite for handbags- I have far too many. Essie is my go-to nail polish (my favorites are Hip-Anema and Fifth Avenue- perfect orangey-reds) for coordinating colors with my outfits, and I never leave the house without Sally Hansen's "Dries Instantly" on top. My favorite bargain lipstick line is Maybelline's "Vivids" collection, while Pur's 4-in-1 is my makeup of choice.


I love shopping anywhere from Zara to Target to Gap- I try not to spend too much money on one individual piece, unless I know it will stay in my closet for years to come.


Big things are on the horizon for K on the Bay, you won't want to miss out. So be sure to follow Kristin on social media!


x Kyra

2 comments:

  1. I like when bloggers feature other bloggers on their site. It gives me more blogs to subscribe to! haha.

    ReplyDelete