Monday, November 4, 2013

Begonia Sky Presents: A Day in the Life with Playdates + Pearls



When I first saw Samantha's blog, I knew I wanted her to be a part of this series. She has a wonderful blog and manages to balance everything— including taking care of her adorable daughter. I don't know how she does it.




How did you get started with blogging?

I started following a few blogs about 4 years ago, and have wanted to start my own for about 3 years. When I became pregnant with my daughter I decided not to start one because I knew my time would be spread too thin, so I waited. Now is the perfect time in my life to do something selfish, and indulge in my love of fashion, beauty, interior decorating, and everything else that blogging lets me explore. It's such a great creative outlet, and I've been able to meet so many other incredible bloggers. I was hesitant, and self-conscious about putting myself out there in the blogosphere in the beginning. Blogging is very exposing, and if people don't like your content then it can feel like they don't like you, but I couldn't be happier that I took this risk.

What are your goals for Playdates + Pearls in the next year or so?

I would love to continue meeting other bloggers, and learning from them, because even new bloggers have a lot to teach. I hope to continue working with awesome companies, and having the opportunity to review their products, and give my readers honest feedback. I want to offer bigger giveaways, because nothing is more fun then getting to e-mail one of my readers and tell them they won the prize. Their response emails are THE BEST!!  I think I will really grow as a woman, and learn more about who I am through blogging; when you allow the world to judge you, and you break down all your walls, you discover new things about yourself. Lastly, I want to find ways that my blog can give back to some of the charities that I believe in, like Ronald McDonald House and St. Jude's. I am extremely fortunate to have a healthy kid, and I work hard to help families that are not as fortunate. Oh, and have fun, because that's what this whole thing's about! 

How would you describe your style?

I think my style is constantly evolving. I love trying what's new and trendy, but I'm also very aware of what suits my figure and is flattering on me. I have a thin, "boyish" figure so I like wearing feminine pieces that make me feel a little more girly. I prefer skinny jeans because I don't have much junk-in-the-trunk, and they create the illusion of a curvier figure. I wear ballet flats almost every day, because when you're chasing a 2 year old, heels are not gonna cut it. I like flowy, loose fitted tops, and when the weather is cool enough, I love layering sweaters and scarves over top. I shop most frequently at J. Crew, Banana Republic, and for trendy items I turn to H&M (because the trend usually fades before the clothes do.)


What are your must-have products?

I cannot go a day with Clinique's "Take the Day Off", it's the most gentle and effective cleansing balm on the market. I have very long, curly, and tangly hair, so I love "It's A 10 + Keratin" leave in conditioner. The wet brush is always a miracle worker. Bobbi Brown concealer hides my under eye circles better than any other concealer I've tried. The Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance face mask is my secret weapon if I'm going somewhere special and want my skin to really glow. Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb is my "sexy perfume" and makes me feel super girly.


Do you have any tips for other mom bloggers out there?

I think the only advice that I can give is to enjoy the moment, blog about it later! We all get so carried away with taking pictures, tweeting, instagraming, and facebooking every exciting thing in our life that we rarely stop to truly appreciate the moment. As a mom, I get a super guilty feeling in my gut when I realize that I missed the joy in a moment with my daughter because I was too busy documenting it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love having it to go back and look at and enjoy, but I was disconnected in the actual moment, and I don't want to miss any of those moments with her. So yeah, just be present, and blog about it later.

Be sure to visit Samantha's blog, Playdates + Pearls— I'll be doing a guest post over there on Wednesday, so check that out too!

You can also find Samantha here:
Pinterest

x Kyra

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me, and for saying such nice things! You are too sweet...and give me way too much credit! :-)
    So glad we got to work together - lets not make it the last time!!
    XO - Samantha
    www.playdatesandpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on balancing the documentation of your child's cutest moments with trying to live in the moment and enjoy it to the fullest. Just started reading your blog and love it so far. Want to continue to find out blogging moms out there! And I'm glad I found this new blog, Begonia Sky, as well.

    musingsbycandacejean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete